Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Culture Clinic

So the other day was one of our "outing" days here in Malaysia and the plan was to go to a culture village to see some of the traditional huts, dress, and dances of the different tribes here in Malaysia. We had practiced our sermons the day before so we were prepared for the talk that night. All that was left was to be up and out by 6 to head to the village.

Well around one in the morning I start feeling some pain in my stomach and soon found myself throwing up most of that evenings meal. Feeling better after that and thinking I had only over-eaten, I was back in bed and trying to fall asleep. Unfortunately this was far from the end. From about one in the morning till six I was either next to the toilet or on the couch feeling the pain in my stomach start growing again. It was at about 6 that my roommates woke up and according to them "heard me moaning" so I'm guessing I was in pretty bad shape. They had some anti-vomiting medicine that helped me sleep a little, but they also went and told our trip leader what was up and she came to check on me and said that a pastor and his wife would be here to take me to the clinic in a couple of hours when the clinic would be open. I think I actually got some sleep during that time because I faintly remember getting my computer and slipping in and out of conscious because I can remember a very choppy story line of Balto that I had playing the whole time.

Well the pastor and his wife showed up and we made it to the clinic where much to my dismay the line was out the door. For some reason though they took me straight into a back room where I could lay down. I think the pastor's wife said something about me being "very pale" so that may of helped. Anyways, so I'm in this back room and they start an IV on me to start getting some fluids since for the past 10 hours or so I hadn't really been absorbing much. So I think I dozed off a little with the IV in me and woke up sometime later still feeling pretty uncomfortable when the doctor decided that maybe some acupuncture would help. So apparently the acupuncture points for the stomach are one near the knee and one a little further down and to the side I think. I can't really remember. The acupuncture sort of helped I suppose, but definitely not for an extended amount of time. I kept getting a kick out of it though when I would look down and see two, fairly long pins sticking out of my leg. After the acupuncture I got another liter set up for my IV, some pills, and an injection for pain. In the end they gave me one more liter of fluids into my other arm since they had taken the first IV out, another round of acupuncture, and a few more pills before I finally got a fair amount of rest and stopped throwing up. Oh yeah, I guess I had thrown up a few times in the clinic too. Just not my day. Anyways, so finally started feeling better and went back to the cabins we're staying in and actually got to sleep for a couple of hours straight.

After sleeping I actually was feeling a lot stronger and I wanted to at least go to my church where I had been preaching, but when I got down to the parking lot my ride had already left without me since they thought I was sleeping the entire evening. I tried to find a way for someone to take me, but I guess everyone was still a little worried about me and I ended up just tagging along with another speaker. Looking back at it I'm kinda glad I got to go since most of us will never really experience any of the other speakers sights and it was neat to be able to just be a part of the audience and see what these evening meetings are like.

When we got back from the meetings I gave my mom a quick call where she promptly started making me list of my symptoms and quickly figured out she was putting them in to WebMD to figure out what was wrong with me. Then it was off to bed. I slept through most of the night for the first time and I'm happy to report that today I'm feeling a whole lot better than yesterday! I even gave the practice talk in our morning class and I'm feeling good about preaching the word tonight!

I have to say I'm a little disappointed that I missed out on the culture village, but I almost think getting to be in the clinic was almost an even better opportunity for me! I'm really excited about studying to be a nurse back home and I'm hoping that I'll be able to be a mission nurse and possibly work in clinics such as the one I was in and it was neat to be in one! Even if I wasn't very sound in mind and body when I was there. I remember saying to the pastor's wife that I was probably the laziest patient the clinic had ever seen since I spent all day just laying there.

I find that I'm still not too excited to eat the native food here, but I'm slowly working up an appetite again. Right now I'm mostly taking in simple fruits and these little round things that are apparently palm trees. I'm not exactly sure so don't ask, but they're pretty tasty and they are very easy on the stomach so I'm enjoying them. I am starting to feel a lot better and I hope that I can keep from over-eating and going through that experience again!

No comments:

Post a Comment